Mochiko Chicken

March 2, 2008 by
Filed under Uncategorized

In Hawaii, if there’s one thing we all love it’s Pot Lucks.

Pot Lucks are when a group of people get together and everyone brings a dish to share. One of my all-time favorite contributions is Mochiko Chicken. It’s really easy to make and it’s always the hit of the party.

5 pounds chicken thighs, deboned, (or chicken wings)
4 eggs, beaten
10 tablespoons shoyu
6 tablespoons sugar
8 tablespoons mochiko
8 tablespoons cornstarch
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup green onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, grated
oil for frying

Mix everything (except chicken and oil). Marinate chicken for 5 hours or overnight in refrigerator. Fry chicken in 1-inch hot oil until golden brown on both sides. Cool and cut into slices.

Note: If desired, discard chicken skins before marinating. Tastes great with or without skin and it can be prepared a day ahead. This is one of the all time favorites with locals.

Update: I’m so sorry, I didn’t even think about people not being able to get shoyu or mochiko where they live. I’m sure you could get shoyu in any asian-type store and if you really want to make this, I could send you a box of mochiko (it’s a type of flour) from Hawaii. Just let me know.

Comments

54 Responses to “Mochiko Chicken”
    Deborah says:

Looks WONDERFUL! I’d love to make this for my husband. But, I don’t know what shoyu is or mochiko. I wonder if I can find these two items here in Australia…hmmm…any substitutes if I cannot find them?

Deborah’s last blog post..Beyond The Gates of Splendor

• 1.1
      Anna says:

Mochiko is rice flour and Shoyu is soy sauce

• Jo says:

Mochiko is rice flour. I suppose you could take white rice and just blend it up in a blender until fine…then sift it thru a fine mesh strainer to come up with a “flour” like consistency.
        Mochiko Chicken…or coat fish or any other kind of meat and cook similar to above recipe and it’s Delicious!
        Shoyu is Soy Sauce. Made from soybeans, dark in color and salty.
        With anything fried in mochiko powder, any other kind of sauce would probably be just as delicious. What makes mochiko chicken so good is the texture of the coating of rice flour and fried. In my humble opinion!

Rosie says:

It looks gorgeous, I think I’d stuggle to find the shoyu and mochiko too. Perhaps we should move to Hawaii!

Rosie’s last blog post..Mums are Heroes – Happy Mothers’ Day!

Well I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one who has no idea what shoyu & mochiko are.

That dish looks as if it might be sweet.

Renee’s last blog post..Reunion of sorts…

what Deborah said

Dee says:

oh my gosh my favorite chicken….my brother joe usually makes this, but since he lives in Kaneohe lol ….I can now make it myself.
    It’s whats for dinner tonight so I’m so glad I popped in on your site to see what was happening today! You planned my meal for me.

Dee’s last blog post..ALOHA FRIDAY

Lisa in CA says:

Please explain what shoyu and mochiko are. I’m guessing some kind of spice. Clue us in…it looks delicious!

Lisa says:

Ditto what Lisa in CA said.

Lisa’s last blog post..Cinnamon Roll Sunday

yoshi says:

I am definitely making this. it sounds so good!

yoshi’s last blog post..Pownce : Tools

That looks and sounds delicious!

Twisted Cinderella’s last blog post..Ticker

This looks a lot like a dish my friend makes. I can attest to the fact this it is yum-MY!

Desert Songbird’s last blog post..It’s Friday Already?

Kelly Rigby says:

Yes, this is making me very hungry. Looks delicious, and it’s possible my Asian grocer might have some shoyu and mochiko, or something similar. I’ll have to check it out.

I love collecting recipes, though I’m not always so keen on cooking…

Kelly

Kelly Rigby’s last blog post..Quote of the Week – CRITICISM

Dee says:

I made it Kailani,
    it was some ono!
    Dee

Dee’s last blog post..ALOHA FRIDAY

Briggie says:

okay, this looks just too yummy not to try it. i looked up mochiko and shoyu on yahoo and think i should be able to find them at the korean market my husband took me to a few years ago. i’ve been wanting to go back and since my son has never been there i think we’re taking a little road trip tomorrow!
    have a wonderful and blessed week!
    Briggie ^i^

Briggie’s last blog post..Shout To The lord

It looks so yummy!

Hugs,
    Holly

This sounds so delicious! An Asian store huh? When we wanted to make tamales, my daughter-in-law and I to a Mexican market but no one spoke English to help us find what we needed. I hope I do better at the Asian market. :)

Cathi’s last blog post..She’s A Married Lady

Yum!! That looks WONDERFUL!! I am going to have to try that….

Grace says:

This is a popular dish in Japan as well. Shoyu is Japanese for soy sauce and mochiko literally means sticky rice flour (or flour from sticky glutinous rice). Love this!

Grace’s last blog post..Japan products cost a fortune in Dubai

Lulu says:

Potlucks are awesome…and the chicken looks yummy!

Lulu’s last blog post..Sweet Tea and Fiddle-Dee-Dee

Briggie says:

Okay, the Mochiko Chicken is marinating as I type this comment. You should have put a disclaimer in your post that it’s not a good idea to prepare this if hungry!!! The smell is out of this world! I had so much fun putting it all together. I can’t wait to have it for dinner tonight. I’ll snap a picture and post it on my blog and I’ll let you know how it turns out! Just an fyi – I was able to get everything I needed at our Asian market. The Mochiko (rice flour) was only $1.99 for the box, and Shoyu is actually Japanese for Soy Sauce and I have tons of that in my pantry (we do a lot of Sushi take-out). I opted to nix the sesame seeds because hubby isn’t allowed to have them. Next time I’ll split the marinade and do some with and some without! Thanks again for the recipe!

Briggie’s last blog post..Joel Osteen – He Delights In Your Prosperity

That sounds AWESOME. Thankfully, even here in Podunk we have us some Asian cuisine shops. They’re a little shady looking, but I’d brave them to try this dish!

Aha! That’s what I’ll guest blog about…Hunting for the ingredients and making the dish and testing it on friends/family. Ooo-ooo-ooo!

groovyoldlady’s last blog post..The Flu is NOT Groovy.

Briggie says:

well, as promised I made the chicken, you can head over to my blog for my review!

Briggie’s last blog post..Mochiko Chicken Gets 10 thumbs up!

larry s says:

it say’s to mix everything but the chicken then it say’s to marinate the chicken but what do i marinate the chicken in?

Heidy says:

Found this recipe after trying mochiko chicken at our local Hawaiian restaurant. I am going to try it tonight. Thank you for sharing.

Kipa says:

Oh, it’s delicious…ONO!! Love it, and can’t stop making it…we never get tired of it…thank you for sharing this recipe…LOVE it!

Mahalo Much:)

JR says:

great, great recipe! just had it for dinner last night. marinating overnight makes for great flavor.

thank you.

judy says:

oishi so desu ne

Cindy says:

“Mochiko” – is a Rice Flour
    “Shoyu” – is Soy Sauce

Both can be found in the Asian section of markets.

Lady Reiko says:

Those of you in the mainland can buy rice flour. Its the same thing as Mochiko. I find it in fresh and Easy or Whole Foods. :)
    Enjoy and thanks for the ono recipe!

Lana says:

If you live in CA you can get both shoyu aka soy sauce and mochiko flour in the “asian section” of Ralphs.

F.B.I. Pua says:

Saw this same recipe in Hawaii’s Best Local Dishes.

nikki says:

I purchase mochiko flour even here in Ohio at the regular grocery store!

Kai says:

Aloha Shoyu is the best for this recipe BUT a similar soy sauce can be used. Mochiko flour is an asian food and can be found in either an asian store or in the asian food section in the grocery store.

The best thing is that some local Hawaii foods we enjoy derives from an Asian recipe, therefore making it easier to find the ingredients in the mainland.

Hint, I’m born and raised in Hawaii and have been living in the mainland for a few years and search for alternatives if necessary to make my favorite dishes. ha ha.

I hope this helps for anyone who wants to try this recipe. It’s an awesome dish. Thank you Kailani for the recipe.

cielo says:

Aloha thanks and I am laughing at some of the comments :D I grew up in Hawaii and now live in Switzerland… believe me you can get all the ingredients you need for this anywhere and can also substitute tofu if you are vege prone.

jmarroz says:

Thanks for sharing a great recipe! I agree with previous posts- Aloha Shoyu is best for this recipe BUT if you can’t get it- Kikkoman is available everywhere these days, including Australia! Check out the website: http://www.kikkoman.com.au/default.asp

Mokey says:

shoyu = soy sauce

mochiko = mochiko flour/rice flour

may kim says:

delicious recipe!

tommy says:

i have everything here except the cornstarch.. will it work without the cornstarch?

jeesung says:

shoyu = Japanese soy sauce which is generally sweeter than Chinese soy sauce

Aloha Shoyu, which someone mentioned, is a Hawaiian product. they have an online store, but you need to buy a case . . .

if you’re hard pressed to find some nearby you can always go to Amazon or other online sources.

Fat cause I cook says:

So a week or so ago my fam and I were at a Hawaiian function and they served Mochiko chicken. This is the first time my wife and I have ever had it and it was fantastic. I have been looking at different recipes for it online and came across yours. A little tweek here and there from alot of the other ones out there, and the tweek is what I would do myself. I will make this up tonight and cook it tomorrow. Will repost what I think and if I can offer any feedback!

Fat cause I cook says:

OK, Just wanted to come back and repost!!!! I made the chicken last night and it was PHENOMINAL!!!!!! The only thing I did do different was add a little more green onion to the marinade and ginger! The only thing I would do different is dip in flour before cooking it to give it a little more crispyness…. Other then that it was perfect!!!!

P.S. Kailani, I found out you know my Cuz. She highly recomended this recipe to me too!!!!

Naomi says:

My cute “Mochiko Chicken” Story:
    My Mom used to make this for us often as kids and now as adults. When we were young she referred to it as “pupu chicken”, we thought ewww “poo-poo” chicken?! We’re not eating that!! She laughed, we tried it though and it was sooooo good! LOL She eventually told us it was Mochiko chicken but told us pupu to get a rise out of us. It worked!! LOL She said this chicken recipe was often an item served on a pupu platter and why she called it that.

Anyway, it’s very, very good chicken! I always get rave reviews whenever I make it. Down side is that the preparation of the ingredients smell so good it makes you want to eat it immediately. Well worth the wait in the end!

FYI: “Shoyu” is japanese word for soy sauce and “Mochiko Flour” is a sweet rice flour. Ask for it at your asian store and most likely they have it or can order for you. Very inexpensive too.

Amy says:

Shoyu is just Soy Sauce. In Hawaii we call soy sauce shoyu. Mochiko is sold in Asian Stores. This is yummy!

jerry says:

mochiko is a sweet rice flour, and shoyu is pidgin for soy sauce. I am from hawaii where this was made. Preferences for the mochiko would be koda farms mochiko sweet rice flour, comes in a white box, and if you can find it at an asian market which i am sure you will a bottle of aloha shoyu (soy sauce)!!!!!!!!!

glad to be of help….

jerry says:

eh why nobody stay speakin pidgin hah!! nah nah jus joke

Valerie McShan says:

hi, im valerie. jus moved to las vegas from hawaii… & i am sooo hungry for mochiko chicken… everyone has their own way of making it… ive tried making it from my friends recipe but now im goin to try it from yours cuz it looks so onoz & i cant wait to mix it up & deep fry it… hopefully i can find da shoyu sauce & mochiko here… somewhere… :) have a beautiful day in hawaii nei, kailani…

edi says:

fyi mochiko flour is mochi rice flour and shoyu is soy sauce.

gina says:

they sell mochiko flour and shoyu(soy sauce) on amazon! decently priced too:)

Wendy says:

Great recipe. I am so touched by your generous offer to send mochiko if people can’t get it at their local market. I live in Arizona and we have many Asian markets. Safeway markets also regularly stock mochiko.
    Happy holidays!

1. [...] on Tuesday,March 4, 2008. Kailani posted a recipe called “Mochiko Chicken” and I was intrigued as was everyone else that read/replied to her post.  Now, I know a lot of [...]