When Peppa Pig first made it’s US debut, my kids were intrigued. Here was a family of pink pigs that talked, snorted, and laughed . . . all with a cute British accent. The show centered around the family’s every day life doing every day things . . . going to school, playing with friends, having dinner together, and visiting relatives. There were also a whole bunch of other animals featured in the series who played the parts of friends. Each of these groups of animals also talked as well as made their respective animal sounds.
I was very surprised to find that each episode runs approximately 5 minutes long. When you’re watching the show you don’t notice the short time frame because you’re just so tuned into what’s happening. The storyline doesn’t seemed rushed and they’re able to fit in a lot of entertainment into each episode. This is also great feature for younger kids like Kaila (2) who have short attention spans.
Most of the stories are very simple and easy to understand. They all focus on with things that kids deal with every day, making it interesting and fun. For example, the title episode “Muddy Puddles” is about Peppa and George being stuck indoors while it rains outside. Once the rain stops they go outside and play in the muddy puddles. Things get even better when Daddy & Mummy Pig join in on the fun. Now, I know they’re pigs and all but it was still so cute to see the whole family playing outside together. And what child doesn’t love to play in puddles . . . muddy or not?
- Muddy Puddles – It’s raining and Peppa is sad because she can’t go outside. When the rain stops, Peppa and George get to play one of their favourite games – jumping in muddy puddles! When Mummy and Daddy Pig join in, things get very muddy indeed.
- Mr. Dinosaur is Lost – Mr Dinosaur is George’s favourite toy. When Mr Dinosaur goes missing, George is very upset. Daddy Pig helps Peppa to become a detective and together they track down Mr Dinosaur, making George a very happy little piggy again.
- Polly Parrot – Peppa and George visit Granny Pig and Grandpa Pig’s house, and meet their new parrot, Polly.
- Best Friend – Peppa’s best friend, Suzy Sheep, comes to play. George wants to play too, but Peppa refuses to let him do so, making him sad.
- The Playgroup – Peppa and George are going to playgroup. It is George’s first day there.
- Mummy Pig at Work – Peppa accidentally breaks Mummy Pig’s computer, so Daddy Pig tries to fix it.
- Camping – Peppa and her family go camping, but Daddy Pig is too big to get into the tent.
- Gardening – Peppa and George go to Granny Pig and Grandpa Pig’s house and look at their garden.
- Bicycles – Daddy Pig has grown a pumpkin and Peppa is riding her bicycle, but says she wants to ride without stabilizers.
What we like best about Peppa Pig is how lighthearted the episodes are and how they stress the values of family, friendship, and having fun. They teach kids to enjoy their childhood and remind parents to appreciate . . . and laugh . . . about the mischief that kids can get into. For one day, the kids will be all grown-up and will miss those days of messes, kisses, and laughter.
Tune in to Peppa Pig on Nick Jr.
- Monday – Friday @ 12 pm and 12:20 pm
- Saturday and Sunday @ 2 pm and 2:30 pm
Connect with Peppa Pig:
This post was written for Child’s Play Communications and Nick Jr who provided a Peppa Pig swag bag in exchange for our honest review.
Owner of An Island Life. A flight attendant and mother to 3 beautiful girls. . . living a blessed life in Hawaii.