Top 10 Irritating Phrases

January 19, 2009 by Kailani
Filed under Uncategorized

Researchers at Oxford University recently came out with a list of the Top 10 Irritating Words & Phrases.

The researchers who compiled the list monitor the use of phrases in a database called the Oxford University Corpus, which comprises books, papers, magazines, broadcast, the internet and other sources. The database alerts them to new words and phrases and can tell them which expressions are disappearing. It also shows how words are being misused.”

Here they are:

10.  It’s not rocket science
9.    24/7
8.    Shouldn’t of
7.    It’s a nightmare
6.    Absolutely
5.    With all due respect
4.    At this moment in time
3.    I personally
2.    Fairly unique

And the #1 most irritating phrase is . . .

1.    At the end of the day

Okay, I can see why “I personally” would make the list since it seems a little redundant. And of course, “Shouldn’t of” should be “Shouldn’t have”. However, I don’t see anything wrong with the rest of them. Are they really that bad to have made this list?

Do you agree with this list? What word or phrase would you add?

Spotlight comment by Melissa @ Mejojac’s Memos:

Really?  That’s the list??  Wow… Well, let’s see…

At this moment in time it’s a nightmare.   With all due respect, I personally believe it’s not rocket science.  Then again, at the end of the day, 24/7 that is, I absolutely shouldn’t of said that.

Was that fairly unique enough for you or just irritating? :)

About the author:
Owner and founder of An Island Life. Sharing my life as a mother to 3 wonderful daughters, working as a flight attendant, and living a blessed life in Hawaii.
Kailani

Comments

32 Responses to “Top 10 Irritating Phrases”
  1. Junglewife says:

Yeah, I don’t get it either – I don’t see the problem with most of them. Although “shouldn’t of” definitely makes my list. One at should have been on there is “literally” – it seems like that one’s misused a lot. There’s probably other ones, but I can’t think of them right now…

2. Cat @ 3 Kids and Us says:

Number 10 kinda bugs me, but only because my dad constantly says it.

3. Melissa says:

Really? That’s the list?? Wow… Well, let’s see…

At this moment in time it’s a nightmare. With all due respect, I personally believe it’s not rocket science. Then again, at the end of the day, 24/7 that is, I absolutely shouldn’t of said that.

Was that fairly unique enough for you or just irritating? :)

4. Lori Downs says:

Thats it??? I think yall should be on the list, everyone says it around here! So redneckish!

5. Renee says:

Lori…it’s pronounced y’all and I take offense at the redneck remark. Y’all is a Southern phrase meaning You All not a redneck phrase. (can you tell I’m a southern gal?) Besides, rednecks are just hard workin folks who forgot their sunscreen.

I didn’t have a problem with any of the phrases on that list. I have to agree with the Literally that was mentioned above though. The way it is used all the time I bet most folks literally don’t know what it means. ;)

6. Pamela says:

I’m on my way to bed right now – so I am too weary to make a list. I may be back tomorrow.
    What I detest more than anything is the use of the F word in everyone’s conversation.

It is so offensive and tells me that the speaker is too stupid to think up proper words to use in a sentence.

7. juicer girl says:

I could care less.

That should have made the list for used wrong.

I couldn’t care less. ;-)

8. Upstatemomof3 says:

None of those really bother me, On the other hand, I hate

Nothing personal

Generally when someone says that it is very personal

9. Loralynn says:

I actually use #10! My number one irritating phrase is: “I’ve got a question.” Mind you, I hear it repeatedly for stupid questions!

10. Jean M. says:

#1 was the most repeated phrase at my office. The big boss man would say it almost every other sentence during meetings. We’d actually take a tally of how many times he would say it in 2 hour conference. I think we counted 15 times during one meeting. …And at the end of the day this phrase gets really tiresome.

11. Pamela Kramer says:

Those don’t bother me it’s not a phrase but rather a word! “like”

And I was like and she was like and he was like and they were like…Ahhhhh! lol

12. Alyson, the 3 P's Mama says:

I laughed so hard at this list. Some of these are ones I would think of and some are not.

My A #1 phrase I detest is, “Going forward…” as in Going forward we will all speak better.:D I had a district manager who always used it and not only did I not like her, but I thought the phrase was pretentious. Now I have found myself using it! Sheesh!

13. Jennifer says:

I use #6 through #10 quite a bit but my favorite saying is “Knock yourself out” when the kids ask if they can do something-like ride their bike. Don’t know where I got it but, it’s turned into my way of saying Yes. Funny the things we say without thinking much about them!

14. Jennifer says:

I am quite surprised by several of those were found irritating.

Top of my list would be “my bad”.

15. fraizerbaz says:

Well, you know how particular the Brits can be. ;-)

16. Just Mom says:

It drives me bonkers when people say, “ginormous.”

17. Mama Bub says:

“At the end of the day” is definitely at the top of my list. It is particularly abused by reality TV “stars.” My head very nearly explodes when I hear it used multiple times in a conversation. Yes, I’m talking to you Nick Lachey.

18. Jen @ Mommay's Mayhem says:

My sister says and WRITES: the smorning

What? It’s “this morning”

ARGH!

19. valmg says:

With all due respect I personally think that at this moment in time there is absolutely no chance of fairly unique phrases appearing on this list. LOL.

Seriously. I don’t see a problem with some of those. I find other things far more aggravating – like when someone says “well to tell you the truth” or “speaking honestly”, because those statements imply the person may not be telling you the truth at other times.
    Missing from the list is my number one hot button – the misuse of the word retarded.

20. Gennaro says:

Absolutely! Actually, that’s the only one on the list that doesn’t irritate me at all.

I’d add anything with “like.”

21. Jenni Jiggety says:

That is a weird list!

22. JHS says:

I hate it when people write “ya’ll” instead of “y’all.”

If I never hear “let’s think outside of the box” again, it will be too soon. Let’s not, k?

My personal pet peeve is when someone says “anywheres” or “somewheres” and my husband learned on the first date to NEVER refer to me as his “old lady.”

23. Asianmommy says:

How about “All of our agents are busy right now…If you’d like to leave a message, please do so at the sound of the beep. BEEEEP!!”

24. thefarmerfiles says:

Kills me when people say…irregardless! The word is regardless!

25. Shannon says:

My hubby constantly says La-Te-Da and I so hate it!

26. Nancy says:

Anyhoo drives me crazy, fortunately it’s not as common as it was a few years ago.

27. ciara says:

i’m w renee…i don’t think y’all is bad. i’m neither a southerner or a redneck, but i still use it…probably from living in ga two years. i use ‘it’s not rocket science’ a LOT. i can’t help that there are too many stupid people running around lol

28. Elizabeth says:

Re: #6. If you watch The Office, at all, and have seen Jim say “Absolutely, I do” It will no longer be on this list ;)
    Just sayin’…

29. Elizabeth says:

PS That being my comment to the researchers…
    Sorry, should have clarified.

30. Mozi Esme's Mommy says:

I hate talking these days – just about everything I say is irritating to somebody… Me – I could care less (oh sorry, that is “couldn’t” care less, of course…)

31. Andrea McMann says:

One I know I use too much is “literally.” I’m trying to wean myself from it! :)

32. sarah petz says:

What gets me is ‘to be honest’. HMMM… Were you lying a minute ago???

CommentLuv Enabled