Making a Healthy Home Giveaway
This giveaway is now closed. Congratulations to commentor #120: Barbara M!
During this cold winter season, most families will find themselves spending more and more time indoors. Therefore, the importance of clean air is very crucial to your family’s well being.
According to SafeTouch:
There is no doubt you receive conflicting information almost daily about what is and what isn’t healthy for your family. It’s hard to know what to believe, but there is one thing we can all agree on –needing clean air to breathe! You don’t have to take our word for it, check out the EPA’s recent study on indoor air quality, a major health concern for Americans and especially for allergy sufferers, to see for yourself.
But there is good news! You can have a healthy home with improved indoor air quality with a few easy steps. Here are some tips to a healthier home:
- Insulate your home to keep your family comfortable and improve energy efficiency. SAFETOUCHTM Insulation contributes to improved indoor air quality and resists mold growth.* SAFETOUCHTM Insulation doesn’t contain added formaldehyde or itchy fiberglass fibers.
- Air Seal your home to keep critters and insects out and conditioned air in! Use GREAT STUFFTM Insulating Foam Sealants and save money on your utility bills, too! For usage tips, check out the Air Seal Audit Checklist.
- Review the EPA’s tips4 for preventing and controlling mold. Mold spores produce allergens that can trigger asthma attacks and cause sneezing, runny nose and red eyes.
- Keep your home free of radon, a colorless, odorless gas that can cause lung cancer5 by ensuring your home is properly insulated.
- Ditch tobacco products. The toxic chemicals found in secondhand smoke from products like cigarettes can irritate lungs, or worse, lead to heart disease or lung cancer.
- Consider purchasing a hygrometer to maintain the relative humidity in your home between 30–50%6 7. High humidity encourages mold growth.
- Install a carbon monoxide detector8. Carbon monoxide is an invisible gas that is odorless and tasteless. Inhaling high levels of the gas poisons your body and can be deadly.
- Limit the use of pesticides and household chemicals containing volatile organic compounds (VOCs). These can irritate the eyes, nose, and throat; damage the central nervous system and kidneys; and increase the risk of cancer.
- Change air filters every few months to make sure dirty air isn’t re‐circulating through your home.
Make sure you’re providing the cleanest air possible for your family this winter!
SafeTouch is generously giving away to one lucky winner the following:
- Four bags of SAFETOUCH™ R-13 insulation. It doesn’t support mold growth nor does it contain added formaldehyde, two frequent causes of poor indoor air quality, according the Environmental Protection Agency’s “The Inside Story: A Guide to Indoor Air Quality”.
- A Therapure 201MB air purifier which provides triple action purification in an energy efficient way. It has an easy-to-clean permanent HEPA-type filter that traps allergens, pollen, dust, pollution and cigarette smoke.
- Just mention in comments before midnight, Dec 19th why you’d like to win. That’s it!
- A random winner will be selected and notified via email shortly thereafter.
- The winner will then have 2 days to claim their prize.
To earn extra entries, you may do one or all of the following. Each one counts as an extra ticket but you must leave a separate comment for each one.
- Subscribe to An Island Life’s feed.
- Follow An Island Life on Twitter.
- Tweet this giveaway (once daily).
- Place our button in your sidebar.
- Mention this giveaway on your blog with a link back here and to SafeTouch.
This giveaway is open to US addresses. Good luck!
This post was written for SafeTouch who provided the information and item for giveaway. I was not compensated in any way. By entering this giveaway, you are acknowledging that you have read, understood, and agree to our disclosure policy.