This giveaway is now closed. Congratulations to commentor #860: Karen!
Ever since I’ve started blogging seriously, I felt like I should have my own little office set-up. Unfortunately, space in my home is limited so I have to make due with the area I have. My only problem is that I feel like I just have too many things laying around and I worry about my kids getting into them. However, thanks to Underwriters Laboratories, I now have a little checklist to make sure my “office” is safe for everyone.
- Momâ€™s home office is rarely just momâ€™s home office. Thereâ€™s often a bunch of electronics, a computer, probably some kids things, and even a few of dadâ€™s papers and files mixed in. To keep working safely, consider these tips:
- Watch your wattage – Donâ€™t overload extension cords or plugs. Check the wattage on each component you plug in and avoid using adaptors to â€œmake it work.â€
- Get unplugged – Unplug electronics when not in use. Not only do they draw unnecessary energy, but they can also pose a hazard if turned on accidentally. Think paper shredders, fax machines, and space heaters or fans.
- De-clutter – A clean office is a safe office. Piles of papers are potential tripping hazards if on the floor and potential fire hazards if near a heat source.
- Steer the heater clear – Keep space heaters at least three feet away from any combustible materials and do not place anything on top of a space heater.
- Childproof it twice – Cords and electronics can be incredibly tempting and incredibly dangerous to small children. Be sure to manage your cords, keep outlets and surge protectors covered, and make sure that no small items such as paper clips and staples are within a childâ€™s reach. Large furniture such as bookcases should also be firmly attached to the wall to prevent tipping.
By following this tips, you’ll help your home and family stay safe from harm.
How would you like to win $200 to Best Buy? Yeah, I thought so. To enter:
- Just stop mention in comments before midnight, Jan 6th how you keep your blogging area/home office safe.Â Thatâ€™s it!
- A random winner will be selected and notified via email shortly thereafter.
- The winner will then have 2 days to claim their prize.
To earn extra entries, you may do one or all of the following. Each one counts as an extra ticket but you must leave a separate comment for each one.
- Subscribe to An Island Lifeâ€™s feed.
- Follow Island Life on Twitter.
- Tweet this giveaway.
- Become a Facebook Fan.
- Place our button in your sidebar.
- Mention this giveaway on your blog with a link back here and to Underwriters Laboratories.
This giveaway is open to US addresses. Good luck!
This post was written for Underwriters Laboratories who provided the gift card for giveaway. I was not compensated in any way. By entering this giveaway, you are acknowledging that you have read, understood, and agree to our disclosure policy
Owner of An Island Life. A mother to 3 beautiful girls and flight attendant . . . living a blessed life in Hawaii.