Gnomeo & Juliet Opens in Theaters This Friday (2/11) (Giveaway)
This giveaway is now closed. Congratulations to commentors #2: Hedy & #20: Kathy Stevenson!
This past weekend Kacie and I had the honor of attending an advance screening of Gnomeo & Juliet at the Ward 16 Theaters. When we got there, we found everyone in line excitedly talking about this kid-friendly remake of the timeless tale of Romeo & Juliet.
The greatest love story ever told, starring…garden gnomes? In the upcoming “Gnomeo & Juliet,” Shakespeare’s revered tale gets a comical, off-the-wall makeover. Directed by Kelly Asbury (“Shrek 2”) and showcasing both classic and original songs by Elton John, the film features the voices of James McAvoy and Emily Blunt as Gnomeo and Juliet, who have as many obstacles to overcome as their quasi namesakes when they are caught up in a feud between neighbors. But with plastic pink flamingos and thrilling lawnmower races in the mix, can this young couple find lasting happiness?
Since this was the first 3D movie I’ve ever attended as an adult, I was a little worried. Those who know me know that I suffer from motion sickness. Sometimes it’s so bad that I can’t even sit on a rocking chair without wanting to toss my cookies. However, Kacie had seen the movie’s previews on television and begged me to take her. I decided to suck it up . . . just for her.
When we got there we were given our special 3D glasses . . . which have come a long way since those red & blue cardboard ones I remember as a kid. I put them on and braced myself. I don’t know if it’s because I was so engrossed in the movie but I didn’t get sick at all!
I really loved the animation of Gnomeo & Juliet and the way they made the characters actually look like they were ceramic. Even Gnomeo had a scratch on his eyebrow where the paint had come off.
I also liked the soundtrack with the Elton John songs and the tune “Don’t Go Breaking My Heart”. These tracks really brought back memories. The scene where one of the Gnomes did a little online shopping was pretty hilarious, too.
However, what really stole the show for me where the supporting characters . . . a frog named Nanette & a pink flamingo named Featherstone. Their facial expressions and one-liners really made this film extra special and I can totally see marketing companies making money off of these characters. I know I wouldn’t mind having a talking plush Nanette!
As for Kacie, she laughed throughout the movie and especially thought the lawnmower races were exciting. However, she did go “Ewww” as did the other kids in the theater during Gnomeo & Juliet’s love scene.
Overall, we really enjoyed Gnomeo & Juliet and would recommend it as a great family movie.
Who thought garden gnomes could be so entertaining?
(2) lucky winners will win a great Gnomeo & Juliet prize pack right here! It includes
- Gnomeo & Juliet t-shirt in youth sizes of S, M, L, XL and colors of red or blue
- Gnomeo & Juliet one-size fits all beanies in colors of red or blue
- Gnomeo & Juliet mini-notebooks shaped like a Gnome hat (front cover is red, back cover is blue)
- Just mention in comments before midnight, Feb 10th why you’d like to win this. That’s it!
- A random winner will be selected and notified via email shortly thereafter.
- The winner will then have 2 days to claim their prize.
To earn extra entries, you may do one or all of the following. Each one counts as an extra ticket but you must leave a separate comment for each one.
- Subscribe to An Island Life’s feed.
- Follow An Island Life on Twitter.
- Tweet this giveaway (once daily).
- Already “liked” An Island Life on Facebook.
- Already a “fan” of An Island Life’s Facebook Fan page.
- Place our button in your sidebar.
- Mention this giveaway on your blog with a link back here and to Gnomeo & Juliet.
This giveaway is open to US addresses. Good luck!
This post was written for Walt Disney Studios who provided the item for giveaway. I was not compensated in any way. By entering this giveaway, you are acknowledging that you have read, understood, and agree to our disclosure policy.