Expect them to entertain your kids.
I don’t know about you but when I travel with my kids, I bring along everything I could possibly need - toys, snacks, dvd player, ipod, extra clothes, etc. I figure most other parents do the same.
That’s why I was so shocked when I encountered this family.
On most of our flights, we rent portable dvd players with movies already loaded in for $15. Of course, we don’t have enough for everyone on the plane since they cost the company $1500 each. We start selling them from the back of the plane and work our way up. Needless to say, we usually run out before we get to the front. There’s always someone who expresses their dissatisfaction but they get over it pretty quickly.
On this last flight, there was a couple with a 4 year old boy sitting in the 3 seat center section. Dad and Mom were in the aisle, boy was in the middle. When we reached their aisle, the Mom asked for a player.
This is how the conversation went:
- Mom: I would like to rent one of those players.
- Me: I’m sorry but we’re all out of them. Would you like to rent headsets for the movie instead?
- Mom: No, I want a player for my son.
- Me (speaking slowly): We are all out of them.
- Mom: You mean, you don’t sell them to the kids first?
- Me: No, we start from the back and work our way up.
- Mom: Well, how am I supposed to occupy my child?
- Me : I could rent you some headsets so he can watch the movie.
- Dad: He can’t even see the screen! How the h*ll is he supposed to watch the movie?
- Me: I could find you some other seats where he’d have a better view or maybe one of you could change seats with him since he can see the screen if he sat on the aisle.
- Mom: We’re NOT moving.
- Me: I could get him something to sit on so he’ll be a little higher up to see the screen.
- Mom: No, he’s staying just the way he is. You better find something for my child to do or he’ll scream the entire flight.
- Me: I’m sorry that you didn’t think ahead to bring something for him, but entertaining your son is not my responsibility.
- Mom to Son while gently stroking his arm: She just doesn’t care about kids.
- Dad: I want to speak to a supervisor right now!
I was speechless! Now, there are occasions when we do have extra players in first class. They allot one for each passenger up there but not all of them use it. If this family had been remotely civil about the situation, I would have bent over backwards trying to help them out. However, in this case, they weren’t getting squat from me.
I ended up walking away, found the Lead Flight Attendant, and explained what happened. I also told her that if there were any extra players from first class, she had better not give it to them. The Lead Flight Attendant spoke to the Dad and basically got the same harassment.
I’ll never understand why some people come on the plane with small kids and have nothing to occupy them with. Do they really think their child will sit quietly and stare at the seat in front of them for 6 hours? And what makes that Mother think it’s my job to come up with a way to entertain her son?
With my luck, I’ll be working their return flight home next week.
- And speaking of great items to take on the airplane, what about My Royal Heinie from StollerMama? You have until Sunday, 9pm CST to enter this great giveaway over at Adventures in Babywearing. This item is perfect when a diaper bag is just too much to bring along. Go check it out and let me know if you win! Good luck!
- The ladies at 5 Minutes For Mom is having a great 4th of July Giveway. There will be various prizes available along the way and right now they’re offering a Krups Ice Cream Maker and a Rosanne Sweet Dreams Bowl set. How perfect for summer!