Are you an Attachment Parenting Parent? If you support baby wearing, breast feeding, co-sleeping, responding to your baby’s cries, or positive discipline, you may already be a Attachment Parenting Mama or Daddy.
When Girlie Girl was born, we tried to figure out what the best sleeping arrangement was for all concerned. At first, she slept in her crib in her own room. However, because I’m a light sleeper and a worry-wart, I didn’t get any sleep. Every sound woke me up and caused me to check on her. I was a wreck!
Then we decided to get a bassinet and place it next to our bed. It worked wonders! Whenever she stirred, all I had to do was reach over and place my hand on her tummy and she would go back to sleep. Once she got a little older, she inevitably moved into our bed. And although it did cause a few kicks to my head or sometimes being nudge off the edge of the bed, I wouldn’t have it any other way. I loved being able to watch her sleep peacefully and feel her tiny hand in mine.
I had no idea at the time that this was one of the 8 principles of Attachment Parenting and after further research, I found that I agreed and was already practicing most of these principles.
Attachment Parenting International (API), a non-profit organization that promotes parenting practices that create strong, healthy emotional bonds between children and their parents, has several exciting changes they would like to announce, including:
- A newly redesigned web site and new logo at Attachment Parenting.org;
- Attachment parenting worldwide support forums;
- Parent Education Program – a comprehensive series of classes for every stage and age of child development from infancy through adulthood;
- A new book based on API’s Eight Principles of Attachment Parenting by API co-founders Lysa Parker and Barbara Nicholson which is expected to be available this summer;
- A series of podcasts, webinars, chats, and forums with API Advisory Board members and other supporters of AP. Future events are scheduled with Dr. Bob Sears, Dr. James McKenna, and Kathleen Kendall Tacket. Check out the events page for more information.
These are just a few of many exciting things going on at API. I hope you’ll stop by and check it out for yourself.
This is not a paid review. I just thought I’d spread the word.
Owner of An Island Life. A flight attendant and mother to 3 beautiful girls. . . living a blessed life in Hawaii.