Calling All Lurkers

June 28, 2007 by
Filed under blogging

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I’ve been seeing this button on a few of my favorite blogs and wondered what it meant.

u-comment-i-follow.jpg

So, I decided to do some research. What I found is that every comment which contains a link usually has a “nofollow” code attached to it. This is to prevent search engines from “countingâ€? the link as they are crawling the Internet. The purpose is to decrease spam.

Even though I do have Akismet installed, I was initially skeptical. However, I decided to remove the “nofollow” code for a few weeks and see if my comment spam increased. I am pleased to announce that as of this date, I have not received a single spam comment.

Therefore, I’ve decided to keep the “nofollow” code off, allowing every comment left here to get a permanent link back to their website. This mean more linky love for you! Woo Hoo!

If you’d like to know how to do this, here are some great references (thanks to Randa Clay):

In honor of this new revelation (it’s new to me), I’m giving all my lurkers a chance to come out of the closet (so to speak) and make yourself known. If you comment here, not only will you get a link back, but I’ll even visit you and return the favor. Who knows, we could become the best of friends!

I’ll even give you something easy to comment about. Let’s see . . .

What made you decide on your current blog title?

BTW, you don’t have to be a lurker to comment. ;-)

Comments

49 Responses to “Calling All Lurkers”
    Karen says:

I had no say in the matter. My dh created the blog in April of 2006. He wrote for awhile, but started to focus more on Pediacast (a Pediatric Podcast for Parents). His blog floundered. And then pretty much died. He begged me to take it over and I did. I breathed new life into it early this year and post nearly every day! :) I’m having a blast! He has since changed the graphic on the blog to reflect that I’ve comandeered it! Pretty funny the first time I saw it!
    That’s my story and I’m sticking to it! ;)

Kwel tech tip. I’ll have to try it !!

I’m so slow at learning all this stuff. But then and again, compared to 6 months ago, I’m a zillion light years ahead.

The title of my blog is the title of a story my husband wrote, just before he left for med school. It embodies the thought that no matter how bad the day, we still have each other and that is Paradise.

Dana says:

Well, I’m definitely not a lurker here kailani…and I am slowly learning all this technical stuff too. You are a good teacher! I just wish I had more time to dedicate to learning it…

My blog name – well my nickname has sorta become “Sunshine” now so I the name of my blog is really boring: “Sunshine’s blog” – OK, so I’m not so creative. I think my email is kinda creative though “Sunshinedaily4me” cause that is sorta my philosophy. Love the outdoors – love cheery dispositions and having sunshine inside and out. (I must note I don’t always accomplish that – ha ha)

Hey, thanks for the techie info. I will have to give it a try. I choose my title because of my kiddo’s. Well…monkeys…they are giggle machines. They are just goofy. They crack me up on a daily basis.

Thanks for the info. I get so much spam because I don’t make people go through the step of typing a security word (and by the way, yours is the easiest form of any!), that the thought of even a remote possibility for more makes my skin crawl. So I’ll be watching with interest to see how you fare.

amy says:

Well, when I started my blog, I had just graduated from under grad and was starting a new life with a new apartment, new job, new location….so Life after college-a real job seemed to fit that!

Hubby was working a lot of nights on the projects he had at work. He was gone all night and slept all day. Sometimes he was even out of town for weeks at a time. It sucked. I had no help from him around the house and we were living in a place that was too small for us. I always told him to just call me Mommy the Maid. I figured it would be a great title for my blog since most mommas feel this way every now and then.

Suzie says:

My blogs name is a play on our last name. It sounds like Poppy and so of course our kids are Poppy Seeds. :)

maria says:

To keep expectations at a minimum…:)

Jill says:

Hey… I just read about your online store at Mert’s blog. I’m totally going to check it out and I’ll add the button to my blog too!

Tonya says:

I started my blog for a journal of sorts and I started out using the name One Day at a Time. When I decided to change my blogging platform, I decided to use a portion of a bible verse that has always been very important to me…hence, there is a season (Ecclesiastes 3).

-tonya

Mary says:

Very cool idea, i will have to check this out. Thanks for the heads up!

Hmmm, what made me decide on my blog title? originally i was going to take news from the world and “put a positive spin on it”- whether I had to fake it or not.

I soon realized that this was just silly, people want to read REAL blogs for the most part. Sure gossip/celeb blogs are fun sometimes, but it gets old… you can only take so much snark… well I can anyway.

I decided to actually try to say something positive and change my life. I have my bad days, as you know. ;) But I am trying to be Almost Somewhat Positive, if not more. :D It actually has helped me to stop being so pessimistic, and I try to see the clouds for the rain and rainbows now.

Modern Mami says:

Thanks so much for this. I’ve been wondering how to remove the nofollow code.

Do you still have Akismet installed?

Modern Mami

YoungMommy says:

Well, lets see… Having soon-to-be-six kiddos, ages 6 and under, can definitely make our family life seem somewhat chaotic, but in all reality, we ARE pretty organized. (At least I like to think so!)

Aimee says:

I know that WordPress (selfhosted) automatically does nofollow… and since I am kind of new to WP I haven’t messed around much with changing it. However, what I can tell you is that I get hundreds of SPAM comments, even with the nofollow.

Why my blog name? Well, the URL is Aimeeroo. Roo is my nickname. And the name of my blog is fairly dull, Aimee’s Blog… because my name is Aimee. Thrilling, isn’t it?? :)

yoshi says:

Wow, I totally forgot all about nofollow. I guess it’s because I don’t really get too much spam, I never thought about it. I wonder if I have that set up on my site or not. :P

As for my site, well, it’s all about the hello! network isn’t it. :) But no really, it only makes sense to people who listen to japanese pop music. It has a lot to do with Morning Musume, and their variety show, called Hello! Morning. So that’s how it all began for me since I’m a fan of Morning Musume. (even though I have to admit I have no idea what they’re doing nowadays.)

Maribeth says:

I’m here, sweetie, just not always able to post.

Jessica says:

I found your blog thru Melissa’s, it’s so cute I love the layout. I love the idea of happy mail, so fun. This is only my second day of lurking so I’m not feeling to bad!
    My blog name is just what is says, My Random Thoughts. I don’t want anyone to think that they might find something profound on my blog :) !!

Jessica says:

oops forgot the “s” in my URL on my last comment!!! :)

our name is so long and hard to pronounce, we adapted the Who’s from “The Grinch” movie to our last name!

tah dah! thanks for the info!

Sparky Duck says:

OK, that makes little sense to me, but Link love is always nice.

I wonder where my name came from?

I chose the title for my blog because God had really been showing me a lot about His grace at the time. I’m still learning–especially about showing grace to the other people in my life.

Romie says:

Romie is a self-imposed nickname and ranting was what I thought I was going to do so the name just sort of worked out.

wendy says:

I have given up on learning a lot of the technical stuff.

I named my blog because I knew I would mostly be writing about my son. (Snips Snails and Puppy Dog Tails) Also, because I am not that creative and that is all I could come up with. I think you should write your blog for a few weeks before you name it. Give it a chance to take on a life of it’s own.

Vader's Mom says:

I’m the mom to a beautiful dog named Vader. Plus, I’m not all that creative.

Amy says:

I titled my blog Laughing Through The Tears because my friends always commented on how I tried to laugh even when I was crying from the pain. I like to try and stay positive!

tracey says:

No follow? I guess I still don’t understand… I have always been able to click onto others’ blogs by just clicking their names in comments. Is that not true for certain types of blogs? Too technical for me.

Just another Mommy blog…. pretty self explanatory, don’t ya think? Sometimes I wish I had been more original, but I was in a hurry to get blogging and didn’t realize what a call name it would become. I’m ok with it, though.

sam says:

*delurking*

I’ve seen this all over the pace, but had no idea what it really was. I am so in!!

Tiffany says:

Wow..you learn somethig new everyday. I did not know about the no follow code.

Dori says:

This is the first time I’ve actually been to your site and I LOVE the colors. It really does make me feel like I’m at the beach. I wish I had something more original, but I named my site “Working Mama” because that’s what it’s about – being a working mom. I’ll definitely be back here again!

That is so cool that you got rid of your spammers!!! So far we have deleted over 100,000 spam comments. Sometimes I try to fish through them to make sure there are no legitimate comments mixed in, but some days it’s just not worth it.

Thrifty Mommy was already in place when I came on board. It is owned by b5. I think Kelly (co-author) came up with the idea.

liam says:

I decided on mine because liam is big, duh. Also I’ve been using the case-by-case nofollow plugin for wordpress, it let’s you reactivate nofollow for any posts you want:

pickel says:

I am adopting two boys…pretty simple. I have one now and he is almost the death of me. What made me want another I will never know.
    Pickel

jen says:

Let’s see… I came up with my blog name because it explained a day in my life. Perfect in that I have everything I’ve ever wanted and Dysfunctional in that we all have those moments where we lose our marbles. Put them together and you have one entirely suitable blog name.

slackermommy says:

Thanks for the info! I didn’t give much thought to my blog title. I didn’t realize how important it would be. I knew very little about blogging when I started. I chose my name because I’m a pretty layed back mom and slacker mom seemed a good title for my easy going personality.

our yard was torn all apart to put in a new septic system. Then it rained 40 days and 40 nights… and the dirt turned to pancake.. and then stuck to our feet and hands and knees…etc. our house was just a big dust fiesta. I decided I wanted to start a blog.
    I said, oh heck… the dust will wait.

Christine says:

I’ve seen those badges too, and wondered what they were, and how to get permanent links for comments, and who doesn’t love a little linky love! Thanks for the info.

Our family likes to take trips, and what parent hasn’t heard my Blog Title! :)

I’m pretty sure you KNOW why I chose the name of my blog!

Not a lurker, but commenting anyway :) I picked my blog title after much deliberation. Mejojac has been my screen name for years… so that seemed natural to me… Memos I used as short for “memories” and also when I hear “memos” I think of short notes to help you remember. I figure if I blog about it, maybe I won’t forget it. Kind of like a journal…

Frigga says:

I did this about a month ago. To this day I have never gotten 1 piece of comment spam – ever.

Happy Friday! :-)

There’s something worth checking out. The name is a funny question because when my hubby dragged me into it I told him just to put it under my exisiting “catch all” site that already existed. It’s too hard to think about changing and it seems to work so my corner remains my corner….LOL

Hugs,
    Holly

Once again, you read my mind. I’ve been meaning to disable the nofollow thingie for quite some time and this time, I actually did it.

Thanks for the link! You’re just a wealth of knowledge, do you know that? *grin*

My blog name: I’m afraid I don’t have an exciting story to go with that. My name is Karen, I like to think I’m a writer and I have this thing about playing with words so I thought, “Hey! Write From Karen sounds catchy doesn’t it?”

I think I actually patted myself on the back at the time because I thought I was so clever. Yeah go ahead, you can say it, “What a dork.” *grin*

summershine says:

I actually just found this site today. Haven’t been in the world of blogging long.
    My site name isn’t that creative, and the only story behind it is that all the other names I thought of were taken.
    Thanks for the anti-spam information.
    I absolutely LOVE your site design by the way!

sognatrice says:

Why I happened to have written a post about this very topic: a blog by any other name

Great idea :)

Jenny says:

I think I decided on my blog name when a friend of mine and me were trying to come up with NEW site names when I gave her my old one and she wanted to make a personal one. She actually came up with it because she bases (almost) all her domain names off tv shows and songs. so… my so called life became the so called me. xD

Judy says:

Not a lurker, but anyway…. My World of Dreams is full of my dreams of writing, of being published, of running away to live at the beach… so.. Welcome to My World of Dreams just seemed to follow. Also, I’ve been described as a dreamer more often than not.

I’ll check out the no-follow thingie. I don’t know whether I have it or not. :-)

Leisa says:

I read this great book by an Australian author called Anne Manne (called Motherhood). She talks about her time down with the kids as being the time she was out of the workforce and at home. I liked the phrase, plus being down sounds rather funky! Also living in Australia as far as most of the internet is concerned I’m down under!

I baptized my blog with the name Sandier Pastures taken from the expression “moving to greener pastures”. We moved to seek greener pastures indeed but alas, we arrived to a place where there are plenty of sand!

Angela says:

Randa Clay of Randa Clay Designs made a bunch of those banners herself in all different colors so that you guys could pick and choose the colors that match the best with your blogs.

To Yoshi: I thought I was the only “Yoshi” out there. I do go by “Yosh” or “Yoshi2me” – it’s nice to finally get to meet a fellow Yoshi.